Beef Shin Tacos with Tomatillo Salsa and Chipotle Mayo
A good taco has become an art form, yet the tastiest amongst them are also the simplest. Super fresh ingredients, quality meat and a simple corn tortilla. We thought we’d give it a shot by combining two of our favourite things and creating beef shin tacos.
Beef shin is not an unusual cut. You will typically buy it as osso bucco from your butcher, or even gravy beef, but it’s a working muscle which means it’s a meltingly tender cut when cooked for a long time on a low temp, which makes it perfect for barbecue.
So here’s our method for beef shin tacos.
For the Shin
- 1 x 750g piece of beef shin on the bone
- Quality beef rub, such as Moonshine BBQ Beef Rub, or Brisket Rub
- Beef stock
For the tacos
- Corn tortillas
- Tomatillo salsa (we like to use Gran Luchito)
- Tomatoes (we use a cherry tomato medley, great colour)
- White onion
- Lime juice
- Chilli powder
- Chipotle powder
- Smoked paprika
BEEF SHIN TACO METHOD
- Coat the shin in rub to your desired coverage. We like to use a light, once over coat.
- Place the shin standing upright in the middle of the smoker. This will ensure it cooks evenly.
- After three hours, check for bark on the shin. You’ll notice it starting to pull down the length of the bone like a lollipop
- When you’re happy with the bark, wrap the shin tightly in foil, with a little bit of butter and stock in the wrap. I like to put it then in a tray to return to the smoker
- After another three hours, begin checking for tenderness. A probe thermometer should go in an out like the meat is soft butter. Remove to rest.
- While resting, dice your onion and tomatoes, and finely chop the coriander
- Prepare your chipotle mayo from this amazing recipe over on Feasting at Home
- Pull the shin from the bone, into small chunks and keep warm
- Toast the tortillas in a hot pan until they’re soft, then remove to a plate.
- Pile with beef shin, add your tomato, onion and coriander mix, drizzle with the tomatillo salsa, and then using a squeeze bottle, hit with chipotle mayo.